Staying Safe this Guy Fawkes Night
Fireworks may be a fun Guy Fawkes tradition - but it's proven to be a dangerous one, if not done correctly.
So if you're like us, and the majority of the nation, planning to light some fireworks this weekend for Guy Fawkes night, here are some tips to make sure you're doing it right:
1. Don’t light fireworks in windy or dry conditions. We're not about turning New Zealand into Australia during summer - so make sure the weather is suitable! A good idea would be to keep a bucket of water, hose or fire extinguisher handy - and if you don't need to use it, you can dump it over your mates later!
2. Only adults should light fireworks! Sorry kids, but we're assuming that adults actually read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using any fireworks... Don't worry, you'll be tall enough for that ride soon enough - let your parents do it for now so you can sit back and relax
3. Point fireworks at the stars, not at people or anyone’s home! Look, we know the neighbours, and sometimes your friends/family, can be super annoying - but we don't need to use them for target practice! (As much as we would love to...) Point them up to the sky for everyone to enjoy.
4. Animals aren't a fan of fireworks - let them chill inside Guy Fawkes is my favourite night to actually have cuddles with my cat (He doesn't like me most of the time). Keep your pets inside if you can during guy fawkes, and if you live rurally - keep away from the farm animals! Pick a spot out in the open, away from anything dangerous or flammable, and with a good spot to set up a cozy watching spot!
5. Keep all unlit fireworks in their box or bag until you’re ready to light them. Best way to keep your fireworks away from your friends or nosey neighbours - keep them out the way until you need them! If you come across a dud or damaged firework, best not to try lighting that one aye?
If you do get hit, and we really hope you don't, run burns under cold water for 20 minutes, or go to A&E and get it checked ASAP. However, if you follow our simple safety guidelines you should be okay!
And from the Q97 team, have a happy and safe Guy Fawkes weekend!